Clinton & Karamazon...

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Oct 14 17:10:07 UTC 2009

I assume you all read this with the same relish that I did...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/world/europe/15diplo.html?hpw

Quoting...

Asked by a student to name a book that had made an impact on her, Mrs. Clinton singled out "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. She said the parable of the Grand Inquisitor in that novel spoke to dangers of certitude, and was a lesson she had carried with her for her adult life.

"One of the greatest threats we face is from people who believe they are absolutely, certainly right about everything," Mrs. Clinton said.

~mad

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

   Dr. Michael A. Denner

   Associate Professor of Russian Studies