Rising Russian Enrollments

Meredig, John jm3 at EVANSVILLE.EDU
Thu Oct 15 18:44:10 UTC 2009

Our first-year Russian enrollments took a big jump in the fall of 2006, from 9 to 17 (2007 and 2008  had 14 and 20 respectively). This year it's back down to 13, but the fact that we're offering Chinese for the first time may have had some slight impact. I've had second-year classes of 10 for the last two years, and I have 7 in third-year this year (new records). We have no major, but there is a Russian Studies minor, and we have a total student body of around 2400.

John Meredig
University of Evansville
Evansville, Indiana

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Amy Adams
Sent: Thu 10/15/2009 11:36 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Rising Russian Enrollments

Dear Colleagues ~
The Holy Cross Public Affairs office is doing a story on our sudden increase in Russian enrollements at the college. Specifically, they are interested to know if the increase is part of a national trend (perhaps connected with new Obama administration, etc.). Can any of you report the same (perhaps unexpected) increase in your Russian courses? It would be very helpful to the story -- which may reach a national audience.

Best, Amy Adams

Amy Singleton Adams
Associate Professor of Russian
College of the Holy Cross