Rising Russian Enrollments

Fri Oct 16 16:43:59 UTC 2009

[overriding HP's private Reply-To setting as this will be interesting to
the whole list]

H.P. Houtzagers wrote:

> The rise in Russian enrollments in the USA might be part of a wider
> phenomenon: in Holland there is an increase, too.

 From where I sit, the only path to robust, sustainable long-term growth
in enrollments is through an improvement in Russia's legal/governmental
framework, which is the major impediment to business growth.

When Russia first opened up in 1991, hordes of Western companies charged
into the "new frontier," only to find that Russia wasn't really ready
for prime time. Companies found they couldn't rely on the Russian legal
framework, which was being developed from scratch, to protect their
assets. After all, the government regarded itself as a player, not a
referee, and it was a greedy one.

After the initial "gold rush," things settled down to a level above
where they had been under Soviet rule, but still far below what was
possible in a country of Russia's size and assets, and most of the
risk-averse companies got out or limited their participation while the
Russians worked on their framework.

Then came 1998, the year of what the Russians call the кризис and what
we in the West call the "default" -- Russia repudiated some $15 billion
in foreign debt. Western companies responded by fleeing in droves, and
it took years before some could be coaxed back. Then we also had the
Yukos case, widely regarded here as an abuse of power and a symptom of
wider problems: "the same thing could happen to us." Yukos was not an
isolated case, just the biggest and most public one, and it has defined
Russia's reputation.

We still have a situation where many Western companies distrust the
Russian government and legal framework, and Putin et al. are doing
little to assuage those doubts. If I had millions to invest, I'd be much
more comfortable doing so in Western Europe, where I would know that the
playing field was level and the government wouldn't arbitrarily seize my
assets or change the rules on a whim. The ROI might be lower, but I
could take it to the bank.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com