Russian stream at the ACLA

Anne Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Mon Oct 19 15:37:54 UTC 2009

Seminar Organizer: Ilya Kliger, NYU; Michael Kunichika, NYU

Hybridity, creolization, polyphony, heteroglossia, double-voicedness: these
terms were an affiliated vocabulary once proposed by MM Bakhtin to
characterize novelistic discourse in its relation to modernity. Originally
conceived in relation to genre, these terms have been extended in their
application to a wider array of cultural and geopolitical formations, quite
frequently in relation to the Russian imperial period and the Soviet Union.
Taking inspiration from these initial suggestions, our stream will explore
the phenomena of temporal hybridization; the constitution of imperial
temporality; ontologies and epistemologies of heterochrony, syncretism, and
nonsynchronicity (Ungleichzeitigkeit); genre theory; cultural borrowing;
literary evolution; the Russophone; and symbolic geography.

http://www.acla.org/acla2010/?p=24

_____________________________

Michael Kunichika

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Russian and Slavic Studies

New York University

19 University Place, 2nd Floor

New York, New York 10003

(tel) 212.998.8729

(fax) 212.995-4604

(Note from poster:  please address questions to the organizers listed above
rather than to me.  Thank you.  -Anne Lounsbery)