portianki

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Wed Oct 21 14:09:26 UTC 2009

Puttees resemble портянки in that they are bits of cloth would round part of the lower limb, but differ from them in that the part of the limb covered stretches from the ankle to the knee.  In other words they are a subsitute for gaiters, rather than for socks.  If you want to see what they look like, Wikipedia has a photograph of a war memorial depicting Canadian soldiers wearing puttees [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttee].

The Oxford Dictionary gives as an alternative 'foot bindings', and I cannot at the moment think of anything better.

 John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham Wilkins <wilkins.graham at GMAIL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:40:48 -0400
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] portianki

A портянка would be a puttee, for plural, just add an s.  It is (I think)
pronounced pah-TEE.  Not a very common word to come across in English.

Graham

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 9:17 AM, /Elena Baraban/ <Elena_Baraban at umanitoba.ca
> wrote:

>  Dear colleagues,
>
>  How to translate the russian word 'portianki' into English?
>
>  Thank you,
>
>  elena

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna