Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Oct 23 23:21:33 UTC 2009

Daniel, this is useful information. I do wonder though, in view of the
iconography, if "derzhavnyi" might perhaps here be an adjective formed
from "derzhava" not in the sense of state or power, as you have
translated it, but of the orb (also called "derzhava") which the Mary is
holding? The orb and sceptre are after all a departure from tradition
and the most striking feature of the icon. Thus an appropriate English
name for the icon might be "Our Lady of the Orb".
Will