piatiknizhie in English

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon Oct 26 15:07:20 UTC 2009

As is, I am extremely averse to the term in Russian. People with pious pretenses often sound blasphemous--especially Dostoevsky scholars! After all, pious pretenses very often switches into idolatry, replacing God with an idol. In any case, saying "Dostoevsky's Five Great Novels", or even D's Five Greats, could do. Being a Dostoevsky scholar myself, with many Russian colleagues, obviously, I have had to resist the expression or actively protest against it, for the past fifteen years. I will continue doing so. After all, being a  Dostoevsky scholar has never exempted me from my faith and its priorities!
o.m.