row

Mike Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Oct 28 16:35:47 UTC 2009

On Oct 28 2009, Durkin, Andrew R. wrote:
> I agree. I've heard and used 'row' in this sense (and pronunciation) all
> my life, spent in New England and the Midwest.

Coming from Indiana (born in the early 50s), I heard and used it in the
sense of an argument or ruckus; and I have heard and used it here in
Minnesota as well, and don't recall anyone here not understanding what I
meant.

Out of curiosity, I did a search in Mark Twain and in some Hemingway
stories, and found it several times in various works by the former, and at
least in one story by the latter. (Time for a full search is limited, and
I'm not _that_ curious.) Maybe it is regional: Twain was from the midwest,
too, and Hemingway's Nick Adams stories are set in Michigan where he spent
some time.

Of course, it might conceivably be age-related, a term I'd know and use but
my daughters would find archaic. I haven't checked, though.

Mike Trittipo
Minneapolis, MN