Derzhavnaya bogoroditsa?

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Thu Oct 29 19:59:47 UTC 2009

Dear Olga Meerson -
Precisely.  See the section "More a Mother than a Virgin" in my book.
With regards,
Daniel RL.

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Olga Meerson wrote:

Our Lady is something that is, more or less, shared as an apellation
for the Mother of God, between Catholics and Orthodox believers.
Interestingly, except for the Bogoroditse Devo, radujsia..." a common
Orthodox prayer originating, nonetheless, in the Catholic Rosary, Mary
is called EVER-Virgin in the Orthodox tradition (Prisnodeva). But all
these things are not too important. It is just that the Orthodox
tradition is more keen on Her Motherhood (in both the sense that She
is the Temple of our God, and that She understands the sorrows of
mothers, and is Mother to us all, who may otherwise feel completely
orphaned in this world), while the Catholic, on Her Virginity (purity
and all those things that somewhat remove Her from our fallen world).
But even these are not absolute distinctions. What is interesting is
that sometimes they are reflected in the respective iconographies
themselves. One more reason to translate the names accurately, without
cultural transposition, I thin!
k.!
So I agree with Michele, not the first time around, either.
o.m.