Russian family names

Steve Marder asred at COX.NET
Fri Sep 4 22:39:31 UTC 2009

> I don't know of anything on line.  The best I have is a hardbacked
> Dictionary of Russian Personal Names by Morton Benson, 1992. It has
> surnames with stresses and a few imena as well.

Although one can find lists of surnames on the Internet, I too know of
nothing online which gives the stresses. As far as printed sources showing
stresses in surnames is concerned, apart from the immensely useful Benson
book, there is the classic work by B. O. Unbegaun, "Russian Surnames"
(1972), which is as scholarly as it is readable. Benson lists ~23,000
surnames, while Unbegaun gives ~10,000; Benson's book is essentially a list,
whereas Unbegaun describes (with thousands of examples) the system of
Russian surnames from various points of view: morphological, accentological,
semantic, historical.