Grossman: VSE TECHET: poznala & uznala

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Mon Sep 7 20:06:48 UTC 2009

It's a rendition, much repeated through the ages,  of the ancient
Greek "gnothi seauton" 'know yourself' (2psg aor. imperative of
gignosko 'know') from the temple at Delphi, with further ascriptions
to specific sources.
Cf. for example Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_thyself,
or Anthony Hughes' Gnothi Seauton at URL:
  http://ashughes.com/Documents/Essays/Essay%20-%20Gnothi%20Seauton.pdf

Hugh Olmsted