Grossman: VSE TECHET: poznala & uznala

Mon Sep 7 21:12:55 UTC 2009

Robert Chandler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Many thanks - as always, I have learned a great deal of importance
> even from messages I have not been able to act on.
>
> There clearly is considerable depth of meaning in 'poznala' (and the
> subsequent 'poznavanie'), and I think this is best revealed not
> through elevated vocabulary but through being as simple as possible.
> So I now have this:
>
> The name of Stalin is inscribed for all eternity in the history of
> Russia.
>
> Looking at Stalin, Post-revolutionary Russia knew herself.

Is the verb really describing a static condition (impf.), or a dynamic
change of state (perf.)?

I would be inclined more in this direction:

"By looking at Stalin, post-Revolutionary Russia came to know herself."
or
"By examining Stalin, post-Revolutionary Russia came to know herself."

Note also that English has a much stronger affinity (even demand) for
explicit statements of cause and effect -- this is why I inserted "by."
Russian is perfectly happy to juxtapose events and let the reader draw
his own conclusions, but that is not our way.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com