Ukrainian textbooks? (was NY Times - "The Retreat of the Tongue of the Czars")

James Beale James at russia-on-line.com
Mon Sep 14 13:17:49 UTC 2009

You have identified a great market niche.  We import publications from
Russia and Ukraine and specialize in materials for learning/teaching.  The
only textbook we have had success in locating and acquiring for sale is
(ironically enough) a textbook of Ukrainian for Russian speakers (with an
audio cassette).  One of the publishers we work with in Kyiv pleasantly
surprised us when they told us of a new textbook for English speakers.  We
asked them to locate and send us a copy, only to discover it was a rather
very pirated looking copy of Teach Yourself Ukrainian.

I am afraid that even before the crisis hit, the Ukrainian publishing market
was too weak and chaotic to develop materials for the export market.  Many
publishers live on government orders for schools, etc.

James Beale
Russia Online, Inc.
Tel: 301-933-0607  Fax: 301-933-0615
Shop online 24/7: http://shop.russia-on-line.com