Tolstoy War and Peace [SEC=PERSONAL]

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Sep 14 13:29:09 UTC 2009

It's Book 10, Chapter 36 (Battle of Borodino, Prince Andrei, hit by a shell...)

Online English translation:
Prince Andrew hesitated. The smoking shell spun like a top between him and the prostrate adjutant, near a wormwood plant between the field and the meadow.

"Can this be death?" thought Prince Andrew, looking with a quite new, envious glance at the grass, the wormwood, and the streamlet of smoke that curled up from the rotating black ball. "I cannot, I do not wish to die. I love life- I love this grass, this earth, this air...." He thought this, and at the same time remembered that people were looking at him.

http://www.literature.org/authors/tolstoy-leo/war-and-peace/part-10/chapter-36.html

June Farris

_________________
June Pachuta Farris
Bibliographer for Slavic, East European and Eurasian Studies
Room 263 Regenstein Library
University of Chicago
1100 E. 57th Street
Chicago, ILĀ  60637
jpf3 at uchicago.edu
1-773-702-8456 (phone)
1-773-702-6623 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Sent: Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:16 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Tolstoy War and Peace [SEC=PERSONAL]

Friends,

In War and Peace there is a scene in which one of the main protagonists is confronted with an artillery bomb which is about to explode and the internal monologue represents the protagonist thinking about his death. Can you please help me find in which volume  of the War and Peace the scene occurs.

Thanks and best wishes

Subhash