the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

Tatyana Buzina tbuzina at YANDEX.RU
Wed Sep 16 13:38:21 UTC 2009

Hello,
If your student means that letter shch means two sounds (sh+ch), and for instance, щука (shchuka) is pronounced with five sounds (sh-ch-u-k-a) he is wrong. It's "shuka" with long soft "sh" sound. There is no "ch" sound there.
Regards,
Tatyana