the good old days, and that pesky letter "shee" (formerly "shch")

Helen Halva hhalva at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Sep 16 14:02:04 UTC 2009

I think there really might be an issue here.  I was taught here, in the
US, in the 1960's, by native speakers, that it was Sh ch, as in fresh
cheese.  In the 1990's, in intensive courses in Russia, I was taught
that fresh cheese was no longer current, that the sh letter had a harder
sound and the formerly sh-ch letter was like a very soft shh, pronounced
at the front of the mouth.  How are modern linguists weighing in on this?

HH