Falen's Boris Godunov

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Thu Sep 17 23:59:23 UTC 2009

Thanks to Keith Blasing's private inquiry, I have to clarify my previous
post: I wonder why NONE of the play in Falen's translation is rhymed. In the
original there are very short rhymed segments, the longest and most notable,
of course, being Mniszek's "sonnet," which was offered for translation
competition (also by "Pushkin Review") a few years ago. That was the first
thing I looked at upon receiving the text, and that is where both the rhyme
and the feminine endings are missing. Other occurrences of rhyme in
Pushkin's original are shorter, and hidden within largely unrhymed passages,
but they are complete quartrains, and thus hardly coincidental. I would be
curious to know why JF did not consider it worthwhile to preserve those
little vignettes in the pattern.

Also, of course it is pentameter; tetrameter and other variegated lengths
appear only in the excluded scenes. Again, thanks Keith :)

Inna