online resources for Russian handwriting

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Wed Sep 23 16:30:18 UTC 2009

And I, on the other hand, no longer waste my precious classroom time on something that I think is fundamentally trivial---пропись. They can print however they like on quizzes (I no longer give tests). So long as it's legible is my mantra. It takes a scintilla of the time to teach them to type as it does to write in cursive; and, let's face it, when's the last time you wrote a letter in longhand in English or Russian? (I haven't in years... and I have many Russian correspondents.)

Moreover, the kids with nice handwriting learn to do it, on their own, and quickly; the kids (nearly all of them males) who scratch and scrawl will never have nice handwriting, anyway.

I require now for my students to install homophonic Russian-alphabet keyboards, take touch-typing tests by the end of the first week, and turn in all their essays and dialogues typed. (Moreover I demand that they use spellcheck and grammar check on Google Docs before turning them in!)

Which ultimately is more conducive to effective expression: Searching Google, Multitran, sending emails in Russian, and doing instant chat with pals in Tomsk... or making the arabesques of Russian cursive?

I've noticed that kids in Russia in their 20s have awful, unreadable handwriting now, anyway.

My two cents.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Associate Professor of Russian Studies