Cosmopolitan

Stephen Beet StephenRBeet at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 23 18:30:27 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,     I've just read Natalia's posting about  the
International Centre Cosmopolitan which runs language programmes and camps
throughout the summer months and also a winter season in the new year, and I
can certainly support all she says.   I've been attending the programme for
several years now and can certainly recommend it to anyone considering
learning Russian and wanting to take part in Russian cultural activities.
I've certainly had some wonderful experiences, and would be glad to share
these with any who are interested.
     The summer camps, held in a pleasant facility in a wooded area on the
banks of the River Obb just outside Novosibirsk, bring together children and
students from all over the world to participate in the programme with
Russian children and students of all ages.  It's certainly the place to go
if you want to experience real Russian culture and get really good value for
money in a safe environment.  It's a great place to send unaccompanied
children too because they are really well looked after.
     The programme has been going for over fifteen years and the Principal,
Natalia Gennadievna Bodrova, is really helpful and everything is so well
run.  There are four two-week camps running throughout the summer and
another in the winter, which is great as it's held in a health centre
facility where we get health treatment, -- massage, sauna etc. as part of
the package.  It's really good value for money.  -
     I know that more and more people from outside of Russia are getting to
know about the programme and come to participate, many returning year after
year.   This past summer  we had a really good team of volunteer foreign
teachers and international students from the UK, the USA, France, the
Netherlands, Mexico, Austria, Canada, and Equador, and many of the students
and teachers have expressed a wish to return either to the Winter Season or
to one or more of next year's summer programmes.    The experience that is
open to all ages and categories ll ages:  we have had schoolchildren as well
as volunteer teachers and adult learners of Russian who were in their 60s
and 70s participating in the programmes, and I'm sure that all would enjoy it.

     The programme has a website   http://cosmo-nskcom/ and the Director's
email address is  cosmopolitan at rinet.su
 Anyone interested can also contact  with any further questions and I'll  be
happy to share my  experiences.   I've been a professional teacher for over
thirty years in the UK until recently and am now teaching in France.

Stephen Beet