Suggestions for 20th-century literature survey?

Robert Romanchuk rromanch at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 29 04:25:06 UTC 2009

Dear Alyssa,
In a similar course, for prose of the "Thaw," we use Kenneth Harper's New
Voices (which is available again as a print-on-demand book from Thomson
Gale).

On a side note, we've found that Struve's Century of Russian Prose and Verse
(not in print, but your copy store can request copyright clearance) is a
great text to use in a 19th-c. survey taught in Russian; it also includes
some 20th-c. selections. Curiously, there is a good deal of anxiety about
Islam in the selections, which can lead to very interesting discussions (and
Pushkin's "Journey to Erzerum" seems quite up-to-the-minute).

Best, RR