Na fkus i svet

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Apr 7 16:38:02 UTC 2010

I have usually heard it in the singular, and have understood it as: "One
cannot find a tovarishch in liking certain things", i.e., "на вкус и
цвет ты не найдешь себе товарища».

Svetlana Grenier

Charles Mills wrote:

>I have only ever heard it in the plural (На вкус и цвет товарищей нет, with
>цвет instead of свет).  For there to be disagreement it seems more than one
>party must be involved (cf. de gustibus non disputandum est).
>
>CM

Svetlana S. Grenier

Associate Professor
Department of Slavic Languages