Etymology of the words ???????, ??????, ?????????

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Apr 9 00:40:53 UTC 2010

Vasmer does not list 'variant' but gives 'moment' as in use in the
Petrine period if not earlier, probably via German. Shanskii's
etymological dictionary says 'variant' as early 19th century from
French, and notes also the forms 'var'jan' and 'varianta', both
suggesting French origin. My edition of Reiff's dictionary (4th edn)
1889 interestingly gives only 'varianta' and only in the sense of
'variant in a text'.

 From Yandex (search "slovo sportsmen") I learn that the Slovar'
inostrannykh slov, 1859, has the word 'sportsmen' in the sense of 'one
who hunts with horse and hounds' (which indeed is the first meaning
given in the Oxford English Dictionary), and that 'sportsman' appears
earlier than 'sport'. This search for search "slovo sportsmen" brings up
lots of curious information about current usage of the word. For fun try
Gramota.ru  in which it is suggested that the word correct break is
'sport-smen' and that '-smen' is a borrowed suffix. And one news site
declares 'Davaite vspomnim, chto oznachaet "sportsmen". Eto sportivnaia
smena" - perhaps a joke, since this etymology also appears several times
in mocking anecdotes of ignorant teachers. One patriot says that he will
not use the word 'sportsmen' because it is American - instead he uses
'sportsmuzhchina'.

Will Ryan