FW: Keep Baikal Alive!

holly myers hemyers at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 9 13:17:27 UTC 2010

Like the famous Galapagos, Lake Baikal is home to a number of endemic
species.

These include the Epischura baikalensis, a tiny crustacean that
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epischura_baikalensis> cleans the lake's
water, the nerpa, one of only three fresh-water seal populations in the
world, the golomyanka, which feed the nerpa seals, and several endemic fish
of commercial importance in the area, such as omul, Baikal sturgeon, and
Baikal grayling.  One concern of environmentalists, fighting Putin's
decision to reopen the paper mill whose wastewater empties into Lake Baikal,
is that these endemic species will become extinct if the lake is polluted.
A related concern is that this wastewater will raise the lake's water
temperature, which could kill off these species even before the pollution
level becomes an issue.  The Epischura baikalensis, for example, is
especially vulnerable to increased water temperature, and the entire Baikal
ecosystem depends on this one animal species to keep the water clean.

Holly Myers