Kaczynski, Katyn

Grover Furr-FM furrg_nj at FASTMAIL.FM
Sun Apr 11 13:20:47 UTC 2010

Dear fellow listmembers:

With all the news about the death of right-wing Polish prime minister
Lech Kaczynski who was flying to Katyn', I would like to point out that
there is big and legitimate controversy over the official anticommunist
line that "the Soviets did it."

Two things:

1. This is a very interesting historical controversy in and of itself!

Despite all the dishonesty involved, the political biases, etc. on _all_
sides, the existence of this controversy has led to the kind of
scrupulous examination of the primary sources that one almost never sees
in the case of questions of Soviet history.

2. This historical controversy exists almost entirely in Russian!

Western anticommunists basically ignore it altogether. So, outside of
Russia, very few people are even aware that the Nazi - Polish
Nationalist - anticommunist version of Katyn' is challenged by anyone.

I originally composed my page on the Katyn' controversy to explain why I
am NOT going to get involved in this mare's nest:

http://www.tinyurl.com/katyn-furr

But it has turned out to be useful to others.

In it I give the kind of introduction and orientation on this
controversy which it is just not possible to find anywhere else outside
Russia.

Sincerely,

Grover Furr
Montclair SU