More about sport from Russkii viestnik

Victoria Thorstensson thorstensson at WISC.EDU
Fri Apr 16 00:59:34 UTC 2010

I am sorry to resurrect the discussion that has already died out but, reading some issues of Russkii viestnik today, I came across an interesting advertisement that I feel might be of interest to some of you.

In the November issue of Russkii viestnik for 1869, there is an advertisement for the publication of the illustrated journal called Okhota i konnozavodstvo

"dlia okhotnikov, konnozavodchikov, liubitelei rybnoi lovli, akklimatizatsii zhivotnykh i drugikh predmetov sporta."

In 1870, the journal proposes to report on "iavleniia sovremennogo sporta... v obshirneishem znachenii etogo slova" which, to my great amusement, included "okhota, konnozavodstvo, akklimatizatsiia, rybolovstvo," and even "zoologiia, veterinarnaia meditsina i gigiena."