GWU: Critical languages satisfy no general curriculum requirements

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Apr 20 00:18:54 UTC 2010

[Melissa Smith wrote:
> Isn't there a large body of research that shows studying a foreign
> language - especially a Level II or III -- is one of the BEST methods
> of improving critical thinking? ]

An article in the Chronicle of Higher Ed, dated yesterday, stresses this
very aspect of language learning (in an impassioned call for earlier and
more rigorous language training):
http://chronicle.com/article/English-Is-Not-Enough/65136/

> English Is Not Enough
> by Catherine Porter
>
> Researchers in a wide range of fields increasingly attest to the
> benefits of bilingualism. Students who have had an early start in a
> long-sequence foreign-language program consistently display enhanced
> cognitive abilities relative to their monolingual peers—including
> pattern recognition, problem solving, divergent thinking, flexibility,
> and creativity. After the first three or four years of second-language
> instruction, those students perform better on standardized tests, not
> only in verbal skills (in both languages) but also in mathematics.
> They demonstrate enhanced development in metalinguistic and critical
> thinking: They can compare and contrast languages, analyze the way
> language functions in different contexts, and appreciate the way it
> can be used for special purposes, like advertising, political
> propaganda, fiction, or poetry. In short, they have a decided edge in
> the higher-order thinking skills that will serve them well as college
> students and citizens.
>
> What accounts for such remarkable benefits? Does foreign-language
> study itself have an impact on brain physiology? While there is still
> a lot we don't know, intriguing clues are emerging. Experiments have
> shown, for example, that foreign-language study increases brain
> density in the left inferior parietal cortex. Research also suggests
> that bilingual people process languages differently than monolingual
> people do. They may take fuller advantage of the neural structures
> involved in cognitive processing. They appear to have a greater
> ability to shut out distractions and focus on the task at hand.
> Demands that the language-learning process makes on the brain, like
> other demands that involve encountering the unexpected, make the brain
> more flexible and incite it to discover new patterns—and thus to
> create and maintain more circuits.
>
> The effort involved in learning and controlling more than one language
> may even "train the brain" in a way that slows down the losses that so
> often come with aging. Indeed, one recent Canadian report indicates
> that dementia may be delayed by as much as four years in bilingual
> adults who use both languages regularly. Virtually all "brain fitness"
> experts include foreign-language study among the activities that may
> help delay the onset of dementia.

Much more at the link.
Rebecca Stanton