Resources for Hearing Impaired Students

Karen Evans-Romaine evansromaine at wisc.edu
Tue Apr 20 22:12:19 UTC 2010

Dear Brian, Svetlana and colleagues,

I had responded to Brian off-list but can certainly do so on-list.

Deaf anthropologist Simon Carmel, retired from Rochester Institute of Technology, has done extraordinary work on the deaf community in Moscow. He himself speaks excellent Russian, as well as his native English, and sign language in English and Russian. He has lectured on the differences between the two sign languages. A Google search produces a good deal of information on him and his work. He is an extraordinary resource. I would recommended looking into his work, because he might well have something published on this, although he is not a language instructor.

Best wishes,

Karen Evans-Romaine
Associate Professor
Dept of Slavic Languages & Literature