International Summer School - King's College, London

Soelve I. Curdts sicurdts at PRINCETON.EDU
Thu Apr 22 10:06:54 UTC 2010

Dear All,
apologies for double-posting...
I am writing to draw your attention to the international (and
interdisciplinary) Summer School at King's College, London. There are
several courses on literature, including my own on literature and
revolution (see course description and link below). The summer school is
addressed to an international audience, so students from anywhere in the
world can apply. Feel free to circulate widely among students and/or
colleagues for whom you think this might be of interest.
Best regards,
Soelve Curdts

Literature & Revolution
  Revolution – its representation, performance, its very idea – has
powerfully captivated the imaginations of both its adherents and
opponents.   Our literary journey will take us across two centuries in
Europe from the French Revolution of 1789 to the Russian Revolution of
1917 to the more recent changes of 1989 and beyond… As writers confront
these revolutions and their aftermath, they show us a whole spectrum of
human experience: the mind glorying in its creations, the everyday both
in its ordinariness and violent explosions, lives falling apart…   As we
examine how various literary writers have come to terms with changes
wrought and rendered irrevocable, with new-found ideals and lost
illusions, hopes and disenchantments, we will also look at how these
writers have shaped the ways in which we attempt to think, know, and
perceive today.   We will enhance our literary adventure by actual
excursions to sites of revolutions large and small.

© 2010 King's College London, Strand, London WC2R 2LS, United Kingdom.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/summerschool/arts/