Nineteenth century quasi-equivalents

Natasha Randall nsrandall at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Apr 25 08:56:19 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGers,

Before I start a translation, I always like to read books in English
written at the same time as that which I'm translating... In this
case, I'm on Dostoyevsky (Z. iz P.) and so I'm starting by re-reading
some Dickens (Old Curiosity Shop, D. Copperfield).

Might the list suggest any other English novels of the 19th century
whose language might help me to develop my 19thC ear?

There are no 'equivalent' writers of course. For me, it's a context
thing. An effort to prime my subconscious in order to avoid anachronism.

I'm in the thick of the countryside so not able to get my hands on
The Diary of a Writer or any other such resources - so any
suggestions from this venerable list would be most welcome...

Many thanks in advance,
Natasha Randall