Nineteenth century quasi-equivalents

j.m.andrew at LANG.KEELE.AC.UK j.m.andrew at LANG.KEELE.AC.UK
Sun Apr 25 09:21:19 UTC 2010

A good bet would be 'Jane Eyre'; though published in 1847 it became very
popular in 1850s Russia, and was translated then (as 'Dzhenni Eyre').
Elizabeth Gaskell's Biography of Charlotte Bronte might be helpful, as
would her novels 'North and South' or 'Mary Barton'. George Eliot began
publishing in the mid to late 1850s, so some of her early work (eg 'Adam
Bede', 'The Mill on the Floss' and 'Silas Marner') would be just the right
period.

Best

Joe