Nineteenth century quasi-equivalents--Jane Austen?

greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Sun Apr 25 19:26:34 UTC 2010

Dear Jules,

You wrote:

Read Jane Austen!  She was greatly esteemed by the Russian novelists.
Jules Levin

Apart from the substance of the original question, i.e., Jane Austen would be an entirely different time period from Dostoevsky, I want to inquire on the substance of your answer. I remember the question of Jane Austen's possible influence on Russian novelists having been discussed here, with "negative" results, i.e., nobody seems to have evidence that 19th-century Russian authors knew her.  Do you have any such evidence?  I am sure many others besides myself would be very curious to know about it.

Many thanks,
Svetlana Grenier