Sonya the Soviet government

Laura Goering lgoering at CARLETON.EDU
Tue Apr 27 21:15:45 UTC 2010

Recently I came across this quotation from the memoirs of Dubravka Ugresic [Nobody’s Home (trans. Ellen Elias-Bursac). London: Telegram/Saqi 2007, p. 60]:
"Russians, for instance, call the former Soviet Government Sonyka [sic] (Little Miss Sonya)."

My Russian colleagues had never heard any such thing. Can anyone tell me what Ms. Ugresic might be referring to?

Thanks.

--
Laura Goering
Professor of Russian