"Chekhov, prime fare of the Soviet schoolroom"

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Apr 30 15:24:25 UTC 2010

Thank you, Vika - but what I am wanting to check is WHEN Chekhov became part
of the Soviet canon.

As well as the example I have mentioned from Simonov, there is Grossman's
story ŒA Tale about Love¹ (1937)  In it a film director and a scriptwriter
talk about a joint project.  They agree that Chekhov¹s ŒThe Steppe¹ ­ a
story "in which almost nothing appears to happen" ­ is "real art¹"  I had
imagined that, in the context of Soviet literature of the 1930s, this was
rather startling.

But maybe I am wrong?!

Poka,

Robert