"Chekhov, prime fare of the Soviet schoolroom"

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Apr 30 18:24:50 UTC 2010

Fortunately I was spared this trauma; I accidentally read several
volumes of Chekhov short stories at the age of 13 and school could not
kill the early perception. The writer whom I thoroughly abhorred to the
point of nausea thanks to the Soviet schooling was Nekrasov. It took
exactly 15 years since the moment I left the Soviet Union to appreciate
him. Interestingly enough at that time I encountered "newcomers" to the
US, I recognized on their faces my old feelings when talking about Nekrasov.

AI