Burnt by the Sun 2 (movie)

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 2 08:38:11 UTC 2010

Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Burnt by the Sun 2 (movie)

This is a repost because apparently the seelangs list doesn't allow a person
to make more than three posts a day. :)

Tom - Wow, that's really cool! I love the original so much. I can see a sort
of historical progress that Mikhalkov might wish to make, but I'm
intellectually having a lot of trouble with the retconning. It seems so
un-Stalin for Kotov to magically survive (or Mitya, or any of the
characters...except Nadya, who is the only character said to be alive at the
end of the original). I thought Mikhalkov was smarter than to attempt that
sort of thing. I'm interested, though, to see what comes of Nadya's
"rehabilitation" mentioned in the postscript.

OT: What exactly constituted rehabilitation in Stalinist times - post- and
pre-mortem? Renouncing of all things anti-Stalin and pledging to make nice
with the NKVD from then on, unto the seventh generation?

Anybody know why they have a different actress playing Marussya in the
sequel?

Melissa - Luckily I have a multi-region DVD player and region decoder on my
computer. :) Useful because I am from Canada and have both North American,
Russian and European region DVDs.

Another OT question - how does Mikhalkov's movie "12" compare with Sidney
Lumet's "Twelve Angry Men"?

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
SECOND SALE: 28/07/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/