Teffi's description of a leshii

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Aug 5 13:17:27 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Many thanks to the large number of people who have contributed on- and
off-line.  In the end, what seemed most important was to reproduce something
of Teffi's slightly jokey tone.  I have settled, I think, on this:

"As for the forest spirit, you have to be feeling brave even to mention him.
He made wild hooting noises, he led people into impassable thickets, he
confused them.  There was not one good deed to his name.  He had an evil
temper.  All he ever wanted was to scare people, to lead them astray, to
bring them to a bad end and then plait wild grass over the scene of the
crime."

All the best,

Robert