"Upgrading" English

Goloviznin Konstantin kottcoos at MAIL.RU
Sun Aug 8 05:32:53 UTC 2010

Good morning, afternoon or even evening.

Once upon a time I was translating some text from Russian to English. At this translation I bumped into the word  ЛЕКАРЬ and looking up the corresponding word for this one in English failed. Going on within the same occupation made another "hit" - it was the word ПИЯВКА. ( it really  was a hit!!! You'll see it now and ahead). The first meaning of this word (nothing interesting because of being standard) is LEECH but the next one is + the very ЛЕКАРЬ!!! And it takes only easy manipulation to turn this word into Russian one. Look. Adding the ending AR and pronouncing this "derivative" as [LEKAR] we get that obsolete LEECH-AR (Isn't it Russian). Go ahead with adding another ending IT we get the up-to-date word of Russian LEECH - IT (= ЛЕЧИТЬ).  "Upbuilds" like this not rare in English (another ex. SET -> SET-IT = САДИТЬ; STALL -> STA +I LL +O = СТОЙЛО).

BTW, people who speaks of those things are "lovely" called  lingvofreaks (lingvofreaks.narod.ru). For ex. A.N. Dragunkin speaks rightly of this  - English is just a version + of Russian (5sens.dragunkin.ru).

How do you like it? ;)