Russian skazki

Rouhier-Willoughby, Jeanmarie j.rouhier at UKY.EDU
Tue Aug 10 21:56:50 UTC 2010

One additional note, there are also incest tales in the Russian tradition. They usually tell of a girl, whose mother has died, being pressed into marriage by her brother or father. She uses a magic doll left her by her mother to escape the sin, goes to the otherworld, where she typically finds an appropriate wife for her relative, often with Baba Yaga's help.
*********************************
Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby
Professor of Russian, Folklore, and Linguistics
Director of the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference
Department of Modern and Classical Languages
Division of Russian and Eastern Studies
1055 Patterson Office Tower
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY  40506
(859) 257-1756
j.rouhier at uky.edu
www.uky.edu/~jrouhie
Skype contact name: Jeanmarie Rouhier
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alina Israeli [aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:00 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian skazki

If they are for general readership, I don't think you should look at
the original tales as told by story tellers. The language is far from
literary and the reading is not easy for those who do not do it
professionally. Besides, all of us grew up on tales "v obrabotke",
often by A.N. Tolstoy. Same thing goes for Grimm tales, and Perrault
tales, they are not the "original" tales but their take on them.

A snake-husband does not sound like a Russian tale, although I could
be mistaken. The Beauty and the Beast motive (and the related issue
of incest) does not appear in Russian folklore to my knowledge
(Alen'kij cvetochek is by Aksakov), and the snake-husband seems to be
a variation on the beast (although I don't know the whole tale of
course, so I could be mistaken).

AI

On Aug 10, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Robert Chandler wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am compiling a collection of  Russian Magic Tales for Penguin
> Classics,
> for a general readership.  I do not intend to be strict with regard to
> genres, and I shall be including both narodnye and avtorskie skazki.
>
> I have decided which avtorskie skazki to include and I have a fair
> idea of
> what I shall include from Afanasyev.  But I have read very little
> indeed of
> the other collections – Onchukov, Kupryanikha, etc.
>

> I also have a more specific question.  Natalie Kononenko summarizes a
> wonderful Ukrainian version of the Snake Husband on pages 27-29 of her
> Slavic Folklore Handbook.  It ends tragically, with the heroine
> turning
> herself into a cuckoo so she can forever lament her murdered snake-
> husband.
> Does anyone know where I can find a Russian version of this?

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.