Kermode

Hugh McLean hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Aug 19 17:12:54 UTC 2010

There is a good obit on Kermode in the NY Times today. It says that
while attending the University of Liverpool he learned to read Greek,
Latin, French, German and Italian with ease. Does anyone know whether
that is true? Was the secret just being terribly smart, as everyone
admits he was? He had no foreign languages in his background; his
parents were lower-class English.