The Г in ГУМ

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 22 05:49:23 UTC 2010

According to Wikipedia, the Г in ГУМ used to stand for Государственный
(which is what I was taught)
but *now* it stands for Главный (that's news to me). Can anyone verify that?
The Г now means Главный?

Yes. It was part of a "rebranding" effort. It's all very snazzy now.
PS When you're all in town, do check out Gastronom #1 in the "line" farthest
from Red Square. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like a movie version
of a Stalinist era grocery store, only with gaspingly expensive prosciutto
next to tins of sgushchenka. There are a few photos here
http://www.gum.ru/shop/410
but you've got to see it in person.