The Г in ГУМ

John Langran john at RUSLAN.CO.UK
Sun Aug 22 18:19:39 UTC 2010

Well, if Seelangs is a forum for Russian language teachers, then of course
GUM is important. It appears in most beginners courses, which will have to
be revised. Sad really as students like trying to pronounce
"Gosudarstvenny".   I can't see the relevance to BP either.
I checked with teachers in Moscow today - yes it is officially "Glavny" now,
but the signs haven't been changed.
John Langran
www.ruslan.co.uk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Kingdom" <k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] The Г in ГУМ

I'm not sure what the "this" refers to in the statement, "This is really
nothing."
As in, "This *topic* of the G in GUM is nothing?" Nor is it clear what BP
has to do
with GUM. Did I miss something?

I mean, compared with the plight of starving children all over the world,
every discussion
that's ever taken place on SEELANGS is really nothing.