[SEELA NGS] The Г in ГУМ

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 22 18:48:24 UTC 2010

Of course it has huge implications - not only for teaching, but it shows very clearly the link between socio/economic and political ideologies and language.  No doubt this will be of great interest to sociolinguists.  Just as the onset of communism changed the language, its demise is also having a similar effect - think street names as an obvious example.  Consider how quickly tovarish fell out of use.  I imagine institutes and workplaces no longer have a krasnyi ugalok.  How many 20 year old Russians would even know what it is?

I'm intrigued about BP and would love to know the controversy

AM