[SEELA NGS] [SEEL A NGS] The Г in ГУМ

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 22 20:35:00 UTC 2010

The krasnyi ugolok I'm referring to is not the icon corner of old but the communist corner.  As a student in the late 80's our hostels and institutes had small rooms with busts, posters etc of Lenin, Marx and Engels and were called Krasnyi urolki.  What we are talking about is the dynamic nature of language and how it portrays the socio/economic/political realities of the day.  so, the idea of a religious corner may (not) be foreign to today's students in Russia, but the communist corner may be.

AM