a PhD fellowship (Russian literature)-- 3 years

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Mon Aug 23 19:11:51 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

Please feel free to forward the advert pasted below to anyone who
might be interested in this fellowship.
Thank you.

With best wishes,
Alexandra

--------------------------------------

College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the School of LLC,
Department of European Languages and Cultures: Russian

PhD Studentship for AHRC-funded project, Reconfiguring the Canon of
Twentieth-Century Russian Poetry, 1991-2008 (full time, three years)

How to apply

Applications must be received by midday on Wednesday 8 September 2010.

Entry criteria

This award is only open to students from the UK and EU. You should
have an MA or equivalent research experience in a relevant area of
Russian Studies and native or near-native competence in both Russian
and English.

To apply

Complete an online web form
(http://www.delc.ed.ac.uk/russian/postgraduate/index.htm) where you
must submit some personal details and upload a full CV, covering
letter, and details of two referees.

Your covering letter should outline your academic interests, prior
research experience, and explain how your interests and experience
makes you a suitable candidate for the studentship (see below for
details of the research topic).

In addition you must also email copies of your two references and
transcripts of your previous degree results to the Postgraduate
Administrator for the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
Please e-mail or post your application to: Graduate School Office,
LLC, 19 George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9LD.  Email to
Kate.Marshall at ed.ac.uk

If you have any queries about the application process, please contakt
Kate Marshall (full contact details given above).

About the award

The Department of European Languages and Cultures (the School of LLC)
is seeking to award a studentship to support doctoral research leading
to successful completion of a PhD on the topic of the position of
Joseph Brodsky in the post-Soviet canon of twentieth-century Russian
poetry. The studentship will run for three years from 1 October 2010.

This thesis will form part of an AHRC-funded project, Reconfiguring
the Canon of Twentieth-Century Russian Poetry, 1991-2008, led by Dr
Katharine Hodgson at the University of Exeter, with Dr Alexandra Smith
at the University of Edinburgh. The project team will include a
Postdoctoral research fellow at Exeter and two Postgraduate research
students, one at Exeter and one at Edinburgh.The aim of the project is
to explore the ways in which the contemporary Russian literary world
has reshaped the canon of twentieth-century poetry.

The research topic
The works of Joseph Brodsky, for many years after his enforced
departure from the Soviet Union, were for many years inaccessible to
readers there. Yet he now occupies a prominent place in the poetic
canon, although his pre-eminence remains a matter for considerable
debate. An émigré who settled in the United States and wrote some
prose in English, as well as translating some of his own poetry,
Brodsky has been enthusiastically championed by some in his home
country, but viewed more cautiously by those with a strongly Russian
nationalist outlook. The thesis will establish the extent to which his
poetry features in educational curricula and textbooks; how widely
published his work has been, and which works feature most often. It
will also explore the process by which Brodsky's work was given
canonical status, tracing the critical response to his writing in
Russian literary journals, with particular attention given to
discussions about the poet's position in the canon. It will also
explore the importance of the poet's biography in the process of
canonization, and assess whether in fact Brodsky's canonical status
rests principally on the publication of memoirs,  and the broadcasting
of documentary and feature films about his life, rather than on his
poetry.

The student will also contribute material derived from his/her work to
the bibliographical database and project website, and be involved in
discussions of methodological and theoretical questions from the start
of the project.

Studentship details
The studentship is funded by the AHRC and covers the following:

?	Tuition fees (UK/EU rate)
?	Maintenance at AHRC standard rate (UK students only)

Further information
Academic enquiries can be made to Dr Alexandra Smith, Reader in
Russian Studies: alexandra.smith at ed.ac.uk

Summary

Funded by:			The School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
Application deadline:	8th September 2010
Number of awards:		one
Value:				Up to approx £17,500 per year (£13, 600 plus tuition fees.)
Duration of award:		three years
Contact:  			Kate.Marshall at ed.ac.uk

----------------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian Studies
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131 -651 -1482
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Quoting Elena Ostrovskaya <elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM>:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Olga Meerson <meersono at georgetown.edu>wrote:
>

>> The only thing/ All it makes sense to do is// unless [you want me] to/ go
>> there and close the door tightly
>>
>> Neshto itself means something like "unless"
>>

> Well, yes, 'unless' does seem to do the trick. I would agree with the
> explanation and choose the 'unless' variant out of the three Olga suggests.
>
> Elena Ostrovskaya

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.