Tolstoy Question

Hugh McLean hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Aug 26 17:48:31 UTC 2010

That's a real puzzler. I see that the Maudes called it a "bath-sheet,"
rather than a bed-sheet, but does that make it any better? (What is a
'bath-sheet"? A big towel?)I also tried out the idea that it might be
prosty'nja, with the stress on the second, rather than third syllable,
meaning 'simpleton', but that doesn't work either, unless we imagine her
calling him "Prosty'nja!"  as part of her kapriznichan'e.  For best
effect the list should be of three physical objects associated with the
schoolroom, like the ruler; but Tolstoy threw in the abstraction
kapriznichan'e. We'll have to give him a bad mark for that.