Tolstoy question 6

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Fri Aug 27 21:38:43 UTC 2010

I think you're overreading. If this were "Death of Ivan Ilych," I'd be inclined to play along. Gustafson's "symbolic realism." Sometimes a curtain is not a curtain.

But, at least at this early point in Tolstoy's writing, I think a sheet is just a sheet... There's plenty of detail in the trilogy that is simply autobiographical and therefore not particularly open to the kind of symbolic analysis you're trying to perform. Maybe young Tolstoy had a favorite blanky back at Yasnaya.

~mad

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Associate Professor of Russian Studies