Turgenev's "First Love" and its rewritings

Edyta Bojanowska bojanows at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Aug 30 16:49:52 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,
I am looking for rewritings of Ivan Turgenev's 1860 story "First Love" by Russian or Western writers of any century. By "rewriting," I mean not just any intertextual connection but a story that fairly closely follows the plot and theme of Turgenev's prototype (or significant aspects of either).  Typically (though not always), these retellings use Turgenev's title.  I am aware of Chekhov's ("Volodia," draft title "Ego pervaia liubov'"), Babel's, Bunin's, and Nabokov's rewritings.  Tolstoy's "Posle bala" is a bit more distant, though may also qualify.  Among Western writers, I have on my list Harold Brodkey and Samuel Beckett (possibly).
If you know of other examples, I would really appreciate your tips, either on- or off-list (bojanows at rci.rutgers.edu).

Many thanks! And best wishes to all for the coming semester-
Edyta Bojanowska

--
Edyta Bojanowska
Assistant Professor of Russian Literature