PDF editing

Mon Aug 30 21:03:46 UTC 2010

Alec Brookes wrote:

> Dear Seelangers,
>
> I'm trying to scan a collection of Russian works into PDF format.
> These texts need to be edited to update old orthography into new and
> for spelling mistakes. I've tried editing PDF files (with OCR) in
> Infix to no avail. If anyone knows of a more appropriate programme or
> some other solution, it would be greatly appreciated if you passed it
> along.

PDF is not designed for editing, beyond a little minor touch-up.

If you want to edit the text, you need an editable format such as MS
Word. When you get done, you can print ("distill") the results into PDFs
as you please.

In order to get the original images into editable form, I recommend a
good OCR program such as ABBYY FineReader (which BTW was written in
Russia for Russian, so it handles Cyrillic very well).

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com