PDF editing

Michael Trittipo mike.trittipo at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 30 23:00:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Alec Brookes <alexander.brookes at yale.edu>wrote:

> I'm trying to scan a collection of Russian works into PDF format. These
> texts need to be edited to update old orthography into new and for spelling
> mistakes. I've tried editing PDF files (with OCR) in Infix to no avail. If
> anyone knows of a more appropriate programme or some other solution, it
> would be greatly appreciated if you passed it along.

The order of operations is:
(1) Scan, preserving the image in PDF or TIFF -- no OCR at this step.
(2) Perform OCR, using Abbyy FineReader or Nuance PDF Converter or Omnipage.

(3) Edit (proof, correct, format, etc.) in a real word processor.

Steps 1 and 2 are best separated, because that allows using better OCR
software in step 2.  On step 2, one should NOT try to preserve any kind of
layout.  Get just the text strings.  Otherwise you may end up with text
boxes, which are evil.  Infix is NOT capable of performing any OCR itself.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota