class size

Krafcik, Patricia KrafcikP at EVERGREEN.EDU
Tue Aug 31 16:09:39 UTC 2010

Holy mackeral, Rob--more interesting stuff about
language class size.
Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Melissa Smith
Sent: Tue 8/31/2010 9:02 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] class size

At Youngstown State University, an open-enrollment institution, we have
a cap on all Foreign language courses of 25 (4xweek), and haven't maxed
out since the late 1980s. The official YSU policy is minimum of 15.
Since ONE year of FL is the language requirement and therefore the
second term MUST be offered, we are allowed to go MUCH lower on the
second term, and often do. The drop-out rate in the first term varies
greatly.

I teach the students who go on to second-year and above. This is a
stable(?) population of 2-5 students, so the "workload hours" assigned
to the course can vary from 1-3, depending on enrollment. I have a part
-time instructor at the first-year level, because this is the only
course that can justify the hire, then my workload gets adjusted in
various ways (thank heavens for tenure!).

Rich is right about the ideal figures. Since at a commuter campus,
despite all efforts, attendance can be very erratic, I find seven
preferable to five, since it's easier to keep up the pace!

Good luck on your ventures,

Melissa Smith

On 8/31/10 8:54 AM, Richard Robin wrote:
> George Washington University:
> Section cap for regular track language (4 hrs/week) : 18
> In Russian, we usually reach or come close to this cap for all our
sections
> at the beginning of the year, but we also lose about two students per
> section before the end of the semester.
> Cap for intensive track language (8 hrs/week): 15
> Minimum amount of students required to put a new course on the books:
10
> Minimum amount of students to offer a course already on the books: 7
> (although pleading with the dean can save a course).
>
> IMHO: Ideal number of students to start in a Russian language section
in
> Intensive: 13-14. Every intensive class has three-four weak students.
If

-

> --
> Richard M. Robin